Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Orthopedics #2


Today was day 2 of orthopedics. I'm doing my first ortho rotation at a huge practice. I will rotate through 14 different physicians and PAs over the next 6 weeks. I had a warning from some other classmates that this was going to happen so it's not a total shock. I realize it's only been 2 days but I'm not really a fan of being with this many clinicians. It's impossible to gain someone's trust in 2 days. So far I've done only observation and I have a feeling that's pretty much what the next 5 1/2 weeks are going to be like. We see a lot of patients during the day. Today we saw 55 patients in 10 hours!! And I thought my old physical therapy job was always overscheduled at 40 patients a day. This is pretty much the norm throughout the entire practice. We hand out cortisone injections like candy and schedule knee scopes like they are party invitations. Tomorrow is an OR day, I haven't been there yet so I'm looking forward to it. We have three cases: one patellar bursa removal, bilateral total knees, and an achilles tendon rupture repair. I've only ever seen the TKRs so I should learn something and be entertained. I don't know the doctor very well so I probably won't get to do anything cool like run a saw or hammer something but just watching in the OR is better than just watching in the office. Orthopedics and sports medicine is what originially got me interested in medicine and it is where I am the most comfortable. I decided to do a specialty track in it so for the next 18 weeks I will be doing three different ortho rotations. It's a little disheartening to have it start off like this. I hope things become a little more interesting or this is going to be a very very long 4 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment