Thursday, July 15, 2010

It Just Keeps Getting Better

Today I assisted with my first c-section and tubal ligation. It was absolutely amazing! C-sections are unlike any other surgery in that you get a lot more in return than you do with any other surgery. They're also the most bloody/messy procedure I've ever been a part of it, which is probably one of the reasons why I loved it (i'm a bit of a weird one, i know). Also what other surgery do you get a kid out of the deal. For medical freaks like me surgery in itself is a huge thrill but throw a baby into the mix and it's one of the greatest highs to be found in the medical field. I won't tell you in detail what it looked like and how it all works because I know some of you don't particularly care for that stuff but if you're interested just ask me. Let's just say you know it was a good time if when it's all over you are covered in placenta, blood, and amniotic fluid!!!

In a previous post a talked about not wanting to have a baby the conventional way but instead would opt for a section. Well I have had a serioius change of heart. The other way looks much easier and is less traumatic. The time between when the baby was removed from the uterus to when the mother was out of the OR and able to hold the baby was two hours. I felt so bad for this poor woman. She kept asking how the baby was doing and you could hear the concern and edge in her voice. So to all of you ladies who think you would rather have a c-section over a normal delivery you should seriously reconsider.

Another thing I realized was that I participated in sterilizing a woman today. I'm not really sure how I feel about that yet. It's totally her decision and she's the one who has to live with it. I have no problem with it but actually being the person who cut her tubes in half is a weird feeling. I also realized that during my cardio rotation I did a defibrillator implantation. This requires you to stop the heart to test that the defibrillator is working. So after 2 rotations I have stopped a man's heart and totally demolished a woman's reproductive tract. I am quite the little sadist. When do I get to start saving lives instead of taking them away?

No comments:

Post a Comment