Thursday, June 17, 2010

History in the Making


When I got up this morning I thought it was just going to be another routine day in the OR. Boy was I wrong. I quickly learned that there is no such thing as an ordinary day in medicine. The human body is sometimes unpredicatable since no two people are created the same. To make a long story short, we were putting a device into a patient's chest called a biventricular pacemaker. It's a little more involved than the typical pacemaker implant. I won't bore you all with the details but basically the doctor ran into a vessel that he could not get through. Instead of stopping and giving up he decided to try a technique he saw once when he was in France a year ago. It worked!! This procedure is not being done in the US so it was a big deal. Being a part of a ground breaking procedure is not something I thought I would be doing in my very first clinical in Scranton Pennsylvania! I feel very blessed to have a mentor that is this talented yet so willing to teach me as much as he can in the short amount of time we are given. I wonder what tomorrow will bring...

No comments:

Post a Comment