Thursday, June 24, 2010

Treat Your Trich


I experienced my first consult through texting today and I don't really recommend it. I happen to know this girl personally. This girl's name is Tinkerbell (don't want to go violating HIPPA). Her first text asked if I knew how to treat trichomoniasis aka "trich". It just so happens that I do know how to treat it. It's treated with a 2 gram dose of metronidazole (Rx only). So I replied with the treatment and she was less than thrilled with my answer. She then asked if she could take something OTC instead. "Trich" is caused by a protozoan parasite so obviously this isn't going to go away with your dose of everyday run-of-the-mill Monistat. She of course was bummed with this answer and then asked if it was just an infection, no big deal right? It was then apparent to me that this girl had no idea she was dealing with one of the nastiest looking and smelling STDs out there (the term frothy is actually used in the medical description!) I took the liberty of educating her that it was an STD and if she didn't treat the infection and her partner's infection she could become infertile. That reply shut her up for a good 45 minutes. I then received a phone call from Tinkerbell telling me that she was asking about a "friend" of hers.

This "friend" apparently went to the drug store and bought an OTC Trich test. This is news to me. Since when is Rite Aide selling STD kits? THEY DON'T!!! While this would be a fantastic way to make a fortune nobody has figured out a way to manufacture these yet. All I can picture in my mind is a little stick you pee on then match the color change up with the approriately colored STD listed on the reference card. It's genius, but not possible. The girl deserves credit for originality at the very least. I had to set her straight. So I did and I gave her a a "safe sex" talk on top of it. We don't need an outbreak of Trich occuring now, especially when I'm three days away from starting my Women's Health clinical!!

1 comment: